Tuesday, April 10, 2018

So Past Obsessed, I Didn't Blog for 5 Years!

I'm not even going to mention it. Let's not talk about it, really. It's been awhile. Five years actually. So, we'll just pick up where I left off, and pretend life didn't intervene dramatically.

Anyways....

The title of my blog, is "The Past Obsession." And believe it, I am "past obsessed." I can be on my way home from work, at the grocery store, or cooking dinner. Anywhere, and pieces of history, genealogy or research, can pop into my head. In fact, I'm not allowed to do research within an hour of bedtime, otherwise I won't sleep well.

While I've been researching my genealogy now for close to 25 years, I've been getting serious about the whole field lately. I've bought books, I follow dozens of blogs on Feedly, listen to podcasts on Stitcher (especially Extreme Genes!), and watch youtube channels, and Google hangouts, especially Dear Myrtle's hangouts. I'd love to do genealogy and research in general all the time, but alas, I suppose I need to work, sleep, and do a few other things in life.

So I've added to my library this year, in a serious manner. Here are the titles that I've bought:

Evidence Explained by Elizabeth Shown Mills, 3rd ed, rev.

The Source: A Guidebook to American Genealogy, ed by Loretto Dennis Szucs and Sandra Hargreaves Luebking, 3rd ed.

The Researcher's Guide to American Genealogy by Val D. Greenwood, 4th ed.

Genealogical Proof Standard, Building a Solid Case by Christine Rose, 4th ed, rev.

Genealogy Standards by Board for Certification of Genealogists, 50th Anniversary ed.

Professional Genealogy:  A Manual for Researchers, Writers, Editors, Lecturers and Librarians by Elizabeth Shown Mills

Ancestry's Red Book, by Alice Eichholz, rev ed.

Mastering Genealogical Proof by Thomas W. Jones

That is a list of some pretty heavy stuff, quite a few of the essentials of the genealogy world. So, it's going to take me some time to get through all of these I think.  And (un)fortunately spring is on the way, or it should be, and I'll get distracted. But I intend to focus on the things that are really important to me, life is too short to do otherwise.

Happy hunting everyone!

Cheers

Copyright © 2018 Matt Mapes

No comments:

Post a Comment